Direct Licensing and Publishing

Blue Tongue Management Publishing for Koomurri Aboriginal Music and Performance

Direct Licensing Guidelines

The following guidelines set out how you may enter into direct licensing arrangements with Blue Tongue Management, here on in known as ‘the Publisher’, on a case by case basis for the public performance, broadcasting, or communication to the public of repertoire (including sound recordings, music videos and filmed or streamed live performance recordings) in which the Publisher owns or controls the copyright, namely (Koomurri repertoire). If you have any questions after reading the guidelines below, please contact the Publisher by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to discuss your requirements further.

In all commercial instances, be them public, corporate or internal/intranet broadcast, licensing the sound recording or music video from the Publisher is best achieved by obtaining a blanket license from Blue Tongue Management with fees dependant on requested broadcast usage.

In most instances involving non-commercial use of Koomurri’s repertoire and instances involving not for profit, community or charity based organisations, special needs groups, hospital and healthcare campaigns, educational or environmental organisations, licensing the sound recording or music video from Koomurri’s repertoire is best achieved by contacting the Publisher by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view inform the Publisher of intended use and supply legitimating documentation to verify your organisation and intended project’s validity before entering discussion your projects potential to be granted a nominal fee or free licensing agreement.

Why do you need a license from the Publisher?

the Publisher is the owner or controller of rights in certain protected sound recordings and music videos and those rights include the right to perform the works in public or to authorise sound recordings being synchronised within a film or television program. This means that such uses require the copyright owner’s permission, and in most cases, the Publisher can provide that permission. To perform a work “publicly” means, among other things, to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance of the sound recording or video to the public, which includes internet transmissions of music or music videos via commercial television and streaming platforms, YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter Zoom, Skype, Teams and most other online platforms and includes intranet broadcast and broadcast for corporate and private events.


We offer the following licenses for Koomurri’s repertoire:

Transmission licences:
You will need a transmission license if you intend to communicate the sound recording or music video to the public or private corporate event, for example by way of your iPod/MP3 device, radio, television, Zoom, Skype, Teams or other communications technology, or the internet/intranet.

Website use:
Every internet/intranet transmission of a sound recording is a public performance of that music. Each internet transmission of music involves the reproduction and communication rights in the sound recordings. To use Koomurri’s repertoire on your website you will require a license.

Webcast, Podcast or virtual communications technology:
If you wish to include any of Koomurri’s repertoire in a podcast, webcast or virtual communications technology you will require a license.

Public performance use:
You will need a public performance license if you intend to play any of Koomurri’s repertoire of sound recording or filmed performances in public or to private corporate events where there is audience, for example by playing a CD or music video at your business premises or event or communicating any of Koomurri’s repertoire.

In the context of Koomurri’s repertoire, a public performance is the playing of a the Publishers owned or controlled sound recordings or music videos in a public space (rather in a domestic space such as your home). Even if a performance or exhibition of any of Koomurri’s repertoire is given for free, or the audience is small, or there is no admission fee, or the performance is confined to members of a club, or a limited area, it may still be regarded as a public performance and therefore subject to the Publishers permission and grant of a license.

Music On Hold:
You will need a music on hold license if you wish to reproduce or communicate any of Koomurri’s repertoire via your telephone system or network to telephone callers to, or within, your business with a ‘music on hold’ facility (ie where music is played while the caller is ‘on hold’).

Licenses for DJs:
If you wish to copy any of Koomurri’s repertoire of music from a CD to include on a `compilation’ CD, your computer or MP3 device (e.g. an iPod) to play in clubs, you will need a license. Otherwise, your actions may be an infringement of copyright. While the Copyright Act allows you to copy or “format shift” music legitimately obtained for your private and domestic use to another device that you own (e.g. from CD to iPod), this does not extend to “format shifted” music for use at your events.

“Mix” or “mashup” CDs:
If you intend to use a sample of any of Koomurri’s repertoire, you will require a license.

Music for your film, video or television program:
If you wish to use any portion of Koomurri’s repertoire for inclusion in your intended production, you will need to first obtain a license from the Publisher for that use. You will also need to obtain permission to use the underlying musical works (including any lyrics).

Permission to use musical works can be sought from the Australasian Performing Rights Association (APRA) and the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (AMCOS). These two organisations operate from the same office and have responsibility for different types of licensing. See or call APRA on 1300 852 388 for more information.


You may not require the Publisher permission to use a sound recording or music video if:

  1. You have booked and signed a booking agreement from either Koomurri Entertainment or Blue Tongue Management for such performance by the Koomurri cultural group at a company property or the agreed venue in the signed booking agreement, and that performance maybe streamed to for your corporate staff members or company guests for that event whom are working remotely and you wish to broadcast the live performance to via streaming platforms while the event is being performed live.
  2. The proposed use is considered a `fair dealing’ under the Copyright Act; that is, use for the purpose of criticism, review, private research or study, or for the purposes of parody or satire.
  3. You copy music legitimately obtained for your private and domestic use on another device that you own (for example, from CD to your iPod/MP3 player).
  4. You are an educational institution and your proposed use fits within the provisions for educational institutions (refer to the Australian Copyright Council (ACC) information sheet Educational Institutions: Introduction to Copyright at
  5. You are not using a substantial part of the recording. However, the term ‘substantial’ has a specific legal meaning and if you are playing a recognisable part there may be a strong risk that this could be regarded as a ‘substantial’ reproduction, which may lead to liability for copyright infringement. See the ACC information sheet Quotes and Extracts: Copyright Obligations at
  6. You are using it for private domestic purposes, such as playing it at a private dwelling or residence for your own enjoyment (for example, at your private birthday party).

How long would my license last?

The duration (or “term”) of any finalised license agreement for Koomurri’s repertoire will be guided by your intended use and may be for one-off events or longer periods as required. The term of a license will depend on the circumstances surrounding your licensing request and the proposed use of Koomurri's repertoire that you are interested in licensing.

How much will a license cost?

The fee for using sound recordings or music videos is based on how you intend to use any of Koomurri’s repertoire (such as for a commercial or non-commercial or not for profit purpose) and the potential audience. If a proposed use of the music is small, or for an educational or not-for-profit purpose, the license fee is more likely to be nominal.

Obtaining a license: what information we need from you

All commercial interests should apply direct to t the Publisher to obtain a blanket licence. Please contact Darrel Baird on 0422 973 185.

Non-commercial, not for profit, community or charity based organisations, special needs groups, public hospital, healthcare, educational or environmental organisations please contact the Publisher by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and supply information on your project. Once we have that information we will get in touch with you to discuss whether a direct license is likely to be appropriate in the circumstances.

After considering your proposed use, we may require additional information to facilitate your request. Once you have provided us with that required additional information, we will provide you with a quote for the license fee. Please note that the receipt of an initial quote does not constitute a license. Any license fee will include the cost of preparing the license agreement. License fees vary depending on the type of use and potential audience of the proposed use of any of Koomurri’s repertoire.

If you accept our quoted license fee, you must notify us in writing of your acceptance and we will then seek clearance of the track. Formal written approval must be given by the Publisher before you may use the requested track or video. Once usage is confirmed we will then prepare the license, which sets out the terms and conditions under which we grant you the license to suit your requirements. Please allow several days for an initial quote and up to 10 working days for a sound recording or video to be fully cleared for your intended use.

Do I need any other licenses or permissions?

Once you have paid your license fee and have signed and returned the the Publishers license agreement, you are able to use the requested sound recording and/or music video in accordance with the terms and conditions of the license. You may need to contact APRA and AMCOS to see if you also require a license from them for the use of the musical works and lyrics underlying the sound recording. Refer to or call APRA and AMCOS on 1300 852 388 to find out more.


These direct licensing guidelines are intended only to provide a summary and general overview on matters of interest to potential licensees and users of Koomurri’s repertoire. It is not intended to be comprehensive nor does it constitute legal advice. We attempt to ensure that these guidelines are accurate but we do not guarantee the currency of the guidelines. You should seek legal or other professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content contained in these guidelines.